Scenic Views

Scenic Views

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Live Your Dreams- Try New Things

Many people get out of college and are unsure what life path to take.They ponder questions such as where should I live? What kind of job do I want? How am I going to get a job in this economy? Should I go back to school? Have I accomplished enough? As a recent college graduate, I fall into the category of being at a roadblock when it comes to these types of questions. Just like many, I have many things in life I want to accomplish and I am unsure where to start. You are probably thinking why I do not get a job in the field I went to school for? In my situation, this would be ideal because I love working with kids. However, my major was Elementary Education and with the current economy it is tough to get a job right now. Therefore, I realized that I shouldn’t wait for a job to open but rather consider my life passions, and go after a job similar to teaching that can make me happy. Statistics show that 84% of workers are not in their ‘dream job.’ (CareerBuilder). In addition, 80% of employees do not think their job is fun (Reuters). I know I want to wake up every morning and enjoy my job and I am sure you do as well.

Until a couple weeks ago, I worked as a waitress. My ultimate passion is working with kids and I didn’t want to sell myself short just because there aren’t any teaching jobs at the current moment. I was sick of wasting time doing a job that was not fulfilling my dreams so I quit. I decided to change my attitude about the workforce and go for something that was my passion. Over the past few months, I have been reflecting on all of the things I want out of life. I suggest everyone does this!I decided that I enjoy doing many things- acting, dancing, art, planning things, teaching, and traveling. Then I realized, I can’t make all of these into careers. Therefore, I narrowed down my options and decided I want a career helping kids and possibly traveling. I decided to make acting, dancing, and art into activities. Then I went and looked for a job where I can work with kids and travel. This summer I am doing just that. I will be a counselor on a teen tour. I get the opportunity to make a difference in kids lives and travel. When I am done with this summer job, I am going to go abroad and teach English or move to a different state and teach. This fulfills my passion of traveling to new places, and helping others. Some may think I am crazy for picking up and just leaving like that, but if you never dare to try, how will you ever know what could happen? During this blog, I am going to give tips on how you can go about fulfilling your passions of your dream job. In addition, I will give you insight about all the places I go to on my summer trip. Read on and you will be able to get some tips on how you can get a job you love doing right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment